Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Insights from Carriedo

To my great horror, my sister confirmed that I indeed need to go to Carriedo to pick up the NBI documents for my parents' immigration. Over tea and dumplings at North Park, my voice started to go high-pitched as it has the habit of doing when I panic.
What's the fuss, you say? #1. I have a terrible sense of direction, one for the records. My sister knows that so well that she really didn't think I was overreacting. #2 For my 9-year stay here in Metro Manila, I really only get around Quezon City, mostly in the very sheltered UP DIliman campus and areas around it. Makati has been very easy on me as well. I am not familiar AT ALL with Carriedo or Sta. Cruz Manila and #3, the horror of all horrors, my sis says you can't get a cab to Carriedo.

For the lazy and inadventerous, a taxi cab is the best solution. For a price, you can get to your destination without fussing with directions and sumo-wrestling in other forms of public transportation. Imagine my hysterics when I said, "Well if I can't find my way, I can always take a cab right?" She grinned sheepishly and said "Err there aren't a lot of cabs there really... but I remember seeing a Kalesa..."

In her most graphic attempt, my sis drew me a map complete with which direction the train should be going (because I once took a train going to the opposite direction). She also wrote a step-by-step how-to-get-there guide. Funny for you but it was a big giant for me. I had friends making sure I take care of my belongings, reminding me of all the "bad people" out there. One even quipped that maybe I should drop by Quiapo church to pray I don't get lost.

So there, with my heart beating so fast, I pulled up my hair, took-off unnecessary jewelry, packed my bag securely and got off work early. Clutching on my trusty map I ventured to my first ever LRT ride. My sister was checking on me through text every step of the way. Imagine my exhiliration when I got off at the (correct) station and saw the view of the busy streets of Sta Cruz from there. I realized it was really more than relief that I felt, victory perhaps, but also I felt alive. I felt like no matter how sheltered I felt I was, the Pinay in me would know how to find her way through the streets narrowed by sidewalk vendors and pedicabs; that she would know how to trust the good nature of her people to give her the right directions and even give her a good discount if she haggles for their goods (yes, I did get to buy a couple of stuff ;) ). For some reason, I felt at home.

To make the long story short, I was able to do what I needed to do, and I had a good time as well.

Reflecting on it, on my way home, I realized that my trip to Carriedo is much like our lives. We have dreams, visions and destinies to reach, but really, no one knows how to get there. Sadly some choose not to move forward because they are afraid of the unkown. Some try to take shortcuts or easy way outs as if we can take a taxi cab to our destiny.
But I am not of those who shrink back. I will trust the heart of my Father who surely wants me to get there and promised me prosperity and security. I will cling tightly to the Map he lovingly and laboriously prepared for me to get there. I will consult with God every step of the way. And I know, with the Spirit in me, I will find something inside of me that will recognize my destination; that deep inside I will know what I am created for, and in the end, my heart will recognize its home.