Tuesday, May 5, 2009

On Gambling and Learning

"When you love someone, say it right there, out loud, or time will just pass you by." That's one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies, My Bestfriend's Wedding.

See, all my life, I have held on to what is safe, what is vague, and what is comfortable, and it led me to an insipid life of forever wondering what could've been. So I came to a point of swearing off all comfort zones and I gambled with all I had.

I loved.

Regret is one of the worst feelings I have ever had, and this time, I didn't want to end up one day wondering, "what if I gave it my best shot?" And so, mustering up all my guts, I gambled. All my chips on the table.

I lost.

But I learned that triumph is not really just about winning the gamble, but it's having no regrets hanging over your head. It stings as hell, but yeah, I'd have my day.

If you don't win, at least you'd learn, right Mraz?